Fairway is not affiliated with any government agencies. These materials are not from HUD or FHA and were not approved by HUD or a government agency.

Committed to serve. Call (888) 301-3465 or   Get a Quote

When applying for a VA Loan, you’ll need a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Your COE is the first step in getting a VA-backed home loan. This certificated confirms for us, your lender, that you qualify for the VA home loan benefit. It confirms for your lender that you qualify for the VA home loan benefit.

Loan Officer Chelsea Stanton, NMLS # 1454568 suggests, “As loan officers we can also order this for you. Often without their DD214 / service paperwork. In some instances we do have to have you supply a signed request form, but the majority of the time we can pull online immediately without paperwork. So, before you apply for your COE on your own, be sure to ask your loan officer if they can help.”

To apply for your COE, you’ll need to gather some background paperwork. Here’s what you’ll need:

  1. If you’re a Veteran, you’ll need a copy of your discharge or separation papers (DD214).
  2. If you’re an active-duty service member, you’ll need a statement of service—signed by your commander, adjutant, or personnel officer—showing this information:
  • Your full name
  • Your Social Security number
  • Your date of birth
  • The date you entered duty
  • The duration of any lost time
  • The name of the command providing the information

03. If you’re a current or former activated National Guard or Reserve member, you’ll need a copy of your discharge or separation papers (DD214).

04. If you’re a surviving spouse who qualifies for home loan benefits, you’ll need the Veteran’s discharge documents (DD214)—if available—and:

If you’re receiving Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC), you’ll need to fill out and send us a Request for Determination of Loan Guaranty Eligibility—Unmarried Surviving Spouses (VA Form 26-1817). Download VA Form 26-1817 (PDF) Or if you’re not receiving DIC benefits, you’ll need to send us all of these:

A completed Application for DIC, Death Pension and/or Accrued Benefits (VA Form 21P-534EZ), and
A copy of your marriage license, and the Veteran’s death certificate. Download VA Form 21P-534EZ (PDF)

Once your paperwork is in order here’s how you’ll apply.

You can easily apply online by clicking here. You also might be able to, apply through the VA’s Web LGY system. In some cases, you can get your COE through us, your lender, using our Web LGY system. Ask us lender about this option! To apply by mail, fill out a Request for a Certificate of Eligibility (VA Form 26-1880) and mail it to the address listed on the form. Please keep in mind that this may take longer than applying online or through our Web LGY system. Download VA Form 26-1880 (PDF)

If you have any questions that we can’t answer, please call your VA regional loan center at 877-827-3702. We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.

Source: VA.gov

To get your VA Loan process started, or to discuss your eligibility give us a call at (888) 301-3465 and one of our dedicated loan officers will walk you through the process from A to Z. Click here to see if you qualify. If you are still in online research mode, and not ready to contact us, that’s ok too! We have a no- pressure group on Facebook, where you can come ask all our questions, join that group here.

Pin It on Pinterest